November 30, 2014

Holiday Weekend

I hope everyone who celebrates Thanksgiving had a good day on Thursday.  We lost power at 9:30pmon Wednesday at my sister's due to this:

Luckily I got up early on Wednesday and was there before it started snowing.  It was pretty but treacherous.  Thank goodness they have a generator because they did not have power back until late Saturday afternoon.
This was the view out of one of my sister's windows. The snow was wet and heavy causing a lot of broken branches and downed power lines.  Operating off a generator was interesting.  We fried our turkey as usual and luckily everything worked out well.
This is a photo from one of the times the generator ran out of gas and before my BIL refilled the tank.


I headed home on Friday so that I could attend the tree lighting in town on Saturday.  This was my first time being around for it and it was cold, cold cold! 

I walked down and left right after the lights went on.  Many stayed to chat with Santa and ice skate at the pavilion in town.

It was a nice start for the holiday season. My decorations are out and I'm paging through magazines for the perfect cookie recipe!

3 comments:

P.J. said...

The loss of power does bring an appreciation of simple things doesn't it. Glad you were able to have a happy and memorable holiday. Stay warm! More cold on the way...

Anna van Schurman said...

Sounds like a memorable holiday! My aunt and uncle were supposed to come to PA from NH on Thursday morning but the lack of power and the general impassibility of the roads meant they ate moosemeat in NH. (They didn't have a turkey or the means to cook it.) The tree lighting sounds delightful, if frigid.

Brigitte said...

You have to be grateful for generators, too, lol. It sounds nice, your Thanksgiving Day and weekend.