March 19, 2009

Cranky over Kreinik

Here is my Halloween Fairy progress after working on her on Sunday. I'm now down to the Kreinik and beading part and I think progress will slow a fair amount as I'm struggling with the Kreinik.

Which brings me to my plea for your tips and techniques for working with this fussy fiber. I'm using short lengths as suggested however they are kinking a lot. Do you use two strands together or one strand crossing over each leg of the stitch twice? I am also finding it hard to straighten the thread after unwinding it from the spool which is contributing to the kinking part. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

I did manage to put a few of the metallic stitches in but I'm not pleased with how they look. I was able to substitute out two of the colors with a Petite Treasure braid which I find easier to work with so maybe I will switch to stitching those sections first.

7 comments:

Deb said...

When I've used that nasty Kreinik, I have only used one strand for my Mirabilias. The coverage seemed to be good. I have heard that running the thread across a damp washcloth should help a little. Oh, and constant unwinding of the needle (letting the needle drop and the thread unwind. Hope this helps. I hate the stuff myself. I prefer Petite Treasure Braid.

Brigitte said...

I only take Petite Braid which is easy to handle. Can't help you out with tips about Kreinik as I never used it. Your Fairie looks even more terrific now that the orange colours has been added.

Anna van Schurman said...

Thread Heaven.

Anonymous said...

Gosh, I know you are cranky over Kreinik but your fairy is looking just beautiful :)

Nancy said...

Sorry no tips, I've never used it. Bu tshe is looking beautiful.Nancy

Debs said...

I agree with Deb, try using only one strand and see how that covers. If you have to use two strands, take one strand and fold in half and then lock the fold over the needle eye--thread the fold, pull it thru a little and thread the ends thru the fold, pull taut. And it has helped me to pull the kreinik after unwinding it--just a little--it does stretch some and take some of the kinks out. Play with the darn stuff a bit and see what works for you. I agree--I hate the stuff myself. Much prefer to use either the braid or beads.

Donna said...

I agree with Anna. Thread Heaven helps. Also make sure the needle you are using is big enough for the metallic, but not too big for the fabric. I've got a collection of Tweens in my stash that I picked up somewhere for when a size 23 is better than a 22 or 24. She's beautiful and will be worth every moment of agonizing over the metallic.