March 11, 2006

The results of my collage class


Here are the two pieces I created at my collage class on Thursday evening. I really enjoyed the class. The instructor was very nice and it turns out she's a rug hooking teacher with her own studio in North Falmouth. A bit far to go for classes but I'm going to take a trip up to see her studio as her work is a bit more modern than some I have seen which I really like.

Both pieces were done using wood blocks. The top one will go in my kitchen. The background was already painted in and I experimented with painting over tape(to the left of the flower and the lower right corner. The blue flower in the bottom left corner was an experiment in 3D - I used small bits of popsicle stick to elevate the paper flowers and curled the wire for leaves. I still need to pick up some matte medium and give both pieces a good sealing.


The second piece I made with the colors of my bedding in mind. I used the wood block plane and then used bits of tissue, acetate, brown paper bag and some cut out images to create the effect. The K is for my last name. I'm really happy with how both pieces turned out. I just need to apply hangers and get them hung up. I also need to finish off the edges of the kitchen piece - I'm going to use either wool or ribbon to do that.

I think there is definitely going to be collage in my future. I bought a great beginners instruction book that shows a variety of techniques so now I just have to start collecting supplies!

1 comment:

mainely stitching said...

What a neat new hobby!